In 2018, Americans spent nearly $340 billion on home renovations, per studies conducted by the National Association of Home Builders. This number is released as National Remodeling Month is upon us. We have put together some tips on choosing a remodeler and why you should hire a professional remodeler.
What should you look for in a contractor?
- Process: When looking for a contractor to complete work you should get familiar with their process. Find out who is involved in the process, what role everyone plays, including you the as the homeowner, and how the process works.
- Communication: Your contactor should be forthcoming with all communication. Providing communication in a clear, concise and written manner.
- Trustworthiness: Trust in the contractor and the process they use. Quality contractors build relationships just as carefully as they build everything else. They will be able to vouch for their strategic partners and warranty their work.
- Control of the project: It is the contractor’s job to bring your vision to life by sharing their experience and ideas with your vision leading the way.
- References: You can obtain references from contractors, so you can speak with their past clients and get answers to any questions you have from a client’s perspective.
- Paperwork: When doing your homework on contractors ask for copies of their insurance certificates, business license, get detailed copies of estimates and make sure you sit down with the contractor to review each line item. The contractor should be securing all the permits for you and you should receive a lien wavier and warranty at the end of your job.
Now that we have covered a few things to look for in a contractor, why would you hire a professional contractor?
- Experience: Professionals who have been in the business have seen and done it all. They know what challenges to expect and how to solve those challenges should they arise. Experience is on their side to help navigate the inevitable surprises that you can find behind walls during a renovation.
- Adaptability: Professional companies know that each client is unique and so is their home, so they create customizable plans and solutions for each situation.
- Business Management: Business management systems are in place to provide customers with clear written contracts and documentation, so you understand what you are getting. They hold the appropriate insurance policies and will share the certificates with you.
- Respect: A good professional contractor will let you know what to expect when workers and materials arrive. You will have conversations before construction starts about whether a portable restroom is needed, where protective products will be installed and how, how your home will be cleaned during the job and much more to protect your home and belongings.
Now that you know what to look for and why to hire a professional, what are you waiting for? Now is the perfect time to start planning your renovation!